Pages

3.6.15

Hymn: Though I have tried to follow you

I've just returned from the Iona Abbey, Scotland, where I was volunteering for two months (again) as a musician assistant. One of the things I got to do was share some of the hymns I have written. In a morning service on the weekend before Holy Week, the congregation sang the following hymn, "Though I have tried to follow you." I wrote it as a way to ask for forgiveness and help, as well as to better understand the meaning of Jesus' death.


Though I have tried to follow you, I find I'm still in need
of your strong light to guide my steps and steer my every deed.
How narrow is the road to life! How easily I stray!
Yet still my eyes are fixed on you to navigate my way.

When you walked down the streets we knew, you offered all your grace
Forgiving those who turned to you, pointing home to God's embrace.
When you hung high upon a tree, you saw where I was lost
and drew me with your broken heart to meet you at the cross.

Your wounded body breaks like bread; your blood pours out like wine.
I eat and drink this healing meal with others close beside.
And here, where once a cross stood tall, we find a table spread,
and you, whose body had been there, now live in us instead.

So make us strong to do your work and follow all your ways,
to share the gift we have received: new mercies every day,
and travel on this narrow path flowing through all time and space
to unite everyone who turns to you with the home of God's embrace.

Text: Josh Seligman
Tune: RESIGNATION

No comments: