Pages

10.1.16

Hymn: Though I have tried to follow you

Almost a year ago I wrote a hymn about God's forgiveness through Jesus Christ. I've made a few revisions to it so that the meter is entirely uniform. I'm more satisfied with the ending now, too, since it more clearly expresses what I hope to convey.


Though I have tried to follow you
I find I'm still in need
of your strong light to heal my thoughts
and guide my every deed.
How narrow is the road to life!
How easily I stray!
Yet still my eyes are fixed on you
to navigate my way.

When you walked down the streets we knew
you offered all your grace,
forgiving those who turned to you,
revealing God's embrace.
When you hung high upon a tree,
you saw where I was lost
and drew me with your broken heart
to meet you at the cross.

Your wounded body broke like bread,
your blood poured out like wine.
You lifted up our life and death
to save us for all time.
You tell us now to take and eat,
for in this, you are found.
We eat and drink this healing meal:
we stand on holy ground. 

So make us strong to do your work
and follow all your ways,
to share the gift we have received:
new mercies every day
and travel on this narrow path
that flows through time and space
uniting all who turn to you,
revealing God's embrace.


Text: Josh Seligman
Tune: RESIGNATION/CONSOLATION
Revised Jan. 2020, this time for theological reasons

No comments: